Community Category

January 20, 2012

Editorial: Time to Iowa-fy America

MILWAUKEE, WI (The MPJ) — In case you haven’t noticed by now, the US Supreme Court, on Friday, struck down a legislative map in the State of Texas drawn by judges aiming to allow for…

January 19, 2012

The SOPA/PIPA Blackout and the Midwest

MILWAUKEE, WI (The MPJ) — You think just because your elected representatives in Congress are a member of the party you generally vote for, they agree with you on SOPA and PIPA?  Most likely…they don’t.…

December 20, 2011

Editorial: Gerrymanderlock, and its Solution

MILWAUKEE, WI (The MPJ) — I, much like you, have noticed nothing getting done in Congress.  The media has dismissed this condition as “partisan gridlock,” but I know better.  It’s not simple disagreements between members…

November 17, 2011

The 1% and the Midwest

MILWAUKEE, WI — An interesting tool updated recently by USA Today shows 57 members of Congress are in the top 1% of income earners in America.  A little more digging finds ten of them are…

November 16, 2011

Editorial: Why Scott Walker is REALLY Being Recalled

MILWAUKEE, WI — Much apologies for the extended absence.  This was due to a previously-unplanned move (which you see reflected in the dateline).  But now that everything is back in working order, I wanted to…

August 14, 2011

How to Fix America Part II: Fix Our Nation’s Finances

MADISON, WI (The MPJ) — Did you know America is broke?  We’re completely bankrupt!  The coffers at Social Security are empty!  And, in case you didn’t click on those links, they’re to PolitiFact articles showing those statements to be…

August 7, 2011

How to Fix America Part I: The Crumbling Education System

MADISON, WI (The MPJ) — Believe it or not, fixing and, more importantly, expanding America’s education system is the first thing we need to do to get America back in the lead.  I can already…

August 6, 2011

How to Fix America: Getting Started

MADISON, WI (The MPJ) — It’s time to put an end to a generation-long error.  The me-first-society-last mindset that has pervaded our culture since 1981 has reached its zenith, and it’s cost us.  It’s cost…

July 24, 2011

The Sunday Editorial: Fix the Filibuster, Fix Washington

WASHINGTON, DC (The MPJ) — The hat’s gotten old.  One party proposes a new piece of legislation or person to head a department, the opposing party declares, with utmost certainty, that person or policy will…

June 12, 2011

The Sunday Editorial: The Existentialism of Medicare

JANESVILLE, WI (The MPJ) — Here’s a question for you.  What, exactly, is Medicare? That’s a question that seems to be befuddling many in the media, including in reporting, fact-checking, and editorial circles.  Is Medicare…